Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: ELF Cream Eyeliner (Black)

I recently made a review about Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner (read here) and how I love (and hate) that product. This ELF Cream Eyeliner was purchased beforehand in search of a smudgeproof and budget friendly gel eyeliner. And this rangked about 4 stars in Makeup Alley.

Well, let's see.



ELF Cream Eyeliner has square glass jar with black matte cap. It is delivered in a black matte box and equipped with a small angled brush. It's all black and I really love the sleek and exclusive packaging.

I bought this from twlcosmetics.com for IDR 80.000. This is an official price. It may cost much cheaper in several online stores.



My favorite eyeliner color will always be black. So I chose this shade. There are originally four variants: black, brown, blue, and grey.




Ingredients:
Isododecane, Polyethylene, Polyisobutene, Barium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tricontanyl PVP, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Propylene Carbonate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Silica, Tin Oxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), DC Black #2 (CI 77266), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007).





The brush is a synthetic angled brush with a short handle. The tip is actually quite sharp and pointy, but I don't know... Seems like this is one of the worst gadget for applying eyeliner. If I use this, I'll need several swipes until I get the richest black. This brush also successfully make the lines look all messy as well. 

However, although there are so many bad reviews about it, the brush is actually a perfect gadget for applying concealer underneath my eyebrows. I also often use this brush for applying eyeshadow to make a very clean and crisp cut crease eye make up. The short handle is the only thing I regret, it makes it so small I often lost sight of it among my make up brushes.



The lines were drawn using its very own brush and I really need several swipes to get a perfect black.

What I love from ELF Cream Eyeliner is that it has a very smooth and creamy texture. I guess the product name speaks for itself. A little goes very along the way. It also dries quickly without having to worry it'll stick to your eyelids. It has the blackest black I have ever seen. No matter how thick eyeshadow I apply beforehand, this product can be drawn easily without losing its blackness.

Although it is claimed to be long wearing and smudgeproof, but I disagree. Strongly. It is quite long wearing, though, but I still can't avoid the smudginess underneath my eyes after wearing this for only about an hour. Please, talk about my prone to oily lids. And also, I got teary a lot because my eyes are sensitive to wind. I don't know WHY so many people wrote reviews of how smudgeproof this product is. I mean, how? Btw, I didn't use any eye primer, though. Why should wear one if I want to test out a product?

To apply this, I prefer using a cheap synthetic angled brush I bought from Kay Collection (Atelier brush) or a bended eyeliner brush from Armando Carusso, they have all it takes to create a smooth line. And btw, please forget my bad review about its smudginess, because you who don't prone to oily lid may love this. Just try this out, and please let me know what you think!

Love:
  • Smooth texture
  • Very creamy
  • A little goes along the way
  • Very black
  • Sleek packaging
Hate:
  • Not waterproof
  • Not smudgeproof
  • Useless brush